Monday 29 April 2013

The Pains & Gains of Waiting on God



Waiting for something to happen isn't always an exciting experience. It is a lot easier to wait when you know that at a set period your wishes will be granted but things can get really stressful when waiting on God for something and it seems like nothing is happening for years. The bible says in Isaiah 40:31   "But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint".  According to this verse, waiting on the Lord when things are not fine should strengthen Christians but in my case I realised ‘waiting on God’ made me very restless a few times in the past.


 It was really a painful and annoying experience but after searching my heart, I discovered that those times I said I was waiting on God for something, what I really meant was “I'm waiting on time and chance for something to happen”. Instead of totally putting all my trust and hope in God who is capable of doing all things, I unconsciously consoled myself by assuming with time everything will be just fine with time...Big mistake! That mind-set made the waiting period very frustrating. 


Many of us have things we are waiting on God for, some need children of their own, good spouse, better job, good house etc. but when you say you are waiting on God, are you really waiting on Him? Do you trust and depend totally on Him to do exceedingly abundantly above all you think and desire?There is a huge difference between waiting and waiting on God. An online dictionary says to wait is to remain inactive until something expected happens but I think waiting on God is to stay active till something expected happens. Waiting on God doesn't mean you stay idle, it involves you actively trusting God and praying until something positive happens. Waiting on God means even when God seems quiet, you are at peace, relying fully on Him to step in and grant your heart desires right on time. Waiting on God means making efforts to strip yourself off your self-strength (I can handle it attitude) and depending totally on God for strength. It is only the strength from God that can keep you at peace in the midst of the storm and mount you up with wings as eagles so that you can soar far above your challenges. 
  Having said these, the waiting room isn't a bed of roses! While waiting on God, there will be diverse temptations both from the devil and loved ones who mean well. People will suggest so many alternatives and sometimes due to pressure it is very easy to start considering these options even when we know that is not the will of God for us. I have seen Christian youths who due to lack of jobs ended up doing all sort of crazy things just to make money. When you ask such people why they do these wrong things they come up with excuses like 'I was frustrated, I got tired of waiting'.  Dear friend, I know it is not easy when most of your classmates who were not as smart as you back in high school are driving Bentley's and you, with all your church activities are going around in a footwagon. I understand the feeling but you have to "Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for him: fret not thyself because of him who prospereth in his way, because of the man who bringeth wicked devices to pass. Cease from anger, and forsake wrath: fret not thyself in any wise to do evil. For evildoers shall be cut off: but those that wait upon the LORD, they shall inherit the earth."- Psalm 37:7-9

I do not know exactly what you are going through and even if I did, I may not have the solutions but God does and I encourage you to wait on Him! We all have our waiting seasons! Joseph waited 13 years, Abraham waited for 25 years and even Jesus had to wait for 30 years so you are in good company if you are in a waiting season JJJ. I have had painful periods of waiting in the past when it seemed like God had turned his back on me, I waited, prayed, cried, grumbled, ranted and then prayed a little more but despite all my effort nothing was happening. Even as I type this blog post, some of my prayer requests are yet to be answered but then I'm still waiting!  I've given up being so anxious and surrendered everything into the hands of a Sovereign God who can do anything whenever, wherever and however!  Life is so much easier that way and it is my prayer that very soon, like the psalmist, we will share our testimonies saying "I waited patiently for the LORD; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry"- Psalm 40:1. AMEN!

Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen your heart: wait, I say, on the LORD -Psalm 27:14
Have a blessed week,
With love
LadyMay.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous4/29/2013

    May God grant you more insight into more of Him cos these are words in season.Tks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen.
      Thank you for reading, God bless you.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for visiting my blog Jaxson
    Glad you enjoyed it.

    Take care and remain blessed

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to drop your comments, I enjoy reading them :)